Monday, October 10, 2011

Lavender and Dark Pink

Lavender freshwater pearl strand hand knotted on silk cord, 14K gold clasp.

I love pearls. I just think they are very pretty, particularly if the pearls are of excellent quality, and I try to buy the highest quality I can find (to the detriment of my budget, sometimes). Here are two of the prettiest, most breath-taking lavender pearls I was able to get. The first one I bought about two years ago from the Gem Faire in Costa Mesa, CA. I was looking over some great pearls when this strand caught my eye across the booth and I made a beeline for it, hoping no one would grab it. Large, lustrous and practically flawless. I hand knotted it and attached a 14k gold clasp I had owned for some time. This one is not for sale~



I was not too thrilled with the thinner, cream-colored cord, so I had restrung it, using a thicker silk cord in a taupe color. The knotting was more harmonious rather than jarring as with the cream color, and less flimsy with the thicker cord.

Pale lavender coin pearls and sterling silver, 16.5 inches. Perfect for a bride!
The other strand  of lavender pearls are these beautiful coin pearls, lighter and evenly-matched in color, highly lustrous, and little to no flaws. I found this at the Gem Faire in Del Mar last weekend. I made the necklace above with sterling silver, 16.5 inches, and a toggle clasp. I will hold off selling it; I worry that the jump rings won't remain closed. So this weekend I read tutorials and watched youtube on soldering silver, and this week I'm going to get what I need for soldering and practice soldering. I believe it is an investment into making better-quality artisan jewelry. I know some of my friends like split rings; but to me, they look too much like key rings. Anyway, once I'm proficient with the blow torch and the soldering, I will close the jump rings on my jewelry.

Still on the learning curve regarding Blogspot...anyway...the hat below was an Etsy purchase. I just fell in love with it and had it in my faves until I can fit it in my budget. And of course, I needed to create a wardrobe around it. First up was the necklace of dark pink jasper beads I found at the gem faire last weekend, strung on hemp with vermeil beads and clasp. Simple, but I like it :) I will be on the lookout for a black and/or grey dress to wear with them.  

So thus. Until I get my digital camera active, I won't be selling online. I need to learn soldering. And figure out Blogspot...

UPDATE: 11/1/11 The coin pearl necklace above got sold. A bride-to-be came to my house and saw it before I mailed it out, and commissioned me to make her another one with matching earrings, and four matching bridesmaids sets of pink/mauve round pearls.  I'll have pictures soon as I'm finished. The lavender pearls stretched out and got restrung in an ever darker mauve silk cord. I hung it on a door hook before finishing it.




  




No comments:

Post a Comment